Date(s) - 30/11/2022 - 02/12/2022
Do you want to learn advanced illustration techniques to improve your scientific communication?
This 3-day workshop offers the next level of graphic design and visual communication theory, achieved through both hand and digital drawings.
It is specifically designed for those that have already taken an (introductory) Scientific Illustrations course with Pina Kingman.
When: 30. November – 2. December 2022
Registration deadline: 1. November 2022
Teacher: Pina Kingman
Please fill out this form https://nettskjema.no/a/265988. Students will be admitted on a first come first served basis. If the course is fully enrolled, you will be put on a waiting list. PhD students, research track students and postdocs will be prioritized. Others are only admitted, if the course is not filled.
Former participation in the Scientific Illustrations introductory course with Pina Kingman is recommended, but not required.
Those who have not taken a course with Pina previously and have experience with illustration will need to upload a portfolio upon registration and email the portfolio to Pina at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: “Portfolio: Advanced Illustration for Science” . It must include:
- 1 hand drawn sketch in pencil or pen.
- 1 digital illustration in a vector program, and name the vector program used (Adobe Illustrator, Inkscape, Affinity Designer, ext). If you do not have an example of a vector illustration, then indicate this in the email.
- Any other illustration work that you think is relevant.
- The subject of the illustrations do not need to be science related, any subject matter will do.
- All portfolio illustrations must be sent together as one PDF document, or send a link to a portfolio website or Behance portfolio or links to a social feed.
This workshop will allow for approximately 20 participants.
Wednesday – Friday 09:30 – 15:30
- Computer with mouse or pen tablet
- Pencil and paper for sketching
- Internet access
- Gravit Designer (freemeium), Inkscape or Adobe Illustrator (University/paid subscription, not provided)*
* Note: Only Adobe Illustrator Desktop app, Inkscape and Gravit Designer will be supported in this course. If any students are already familiar with another digital illustration software, then feel free to use this program. But for the sake of time, Pina will not be able to provide technical support for other software.
If you complete the course, you get a diploma stating your participation, the content of the course and the work effort the course has required. You can apply to your home institution for getting the course accepted as ECTS in your degree.
Your home institution decides if and how many credits you will get. This course is 3 full days, plus time for course preparation, assignments and illustrating the final project.
IBA will suggest 1 ECTS credit on the diploma.